It is not possible to lead strategically by our definition without leading with information. That may mean that we have to collect, process and analyze a lot of data as part of our leadership. However, it may also mean that our role as leadership coaches is to ask questions that cause the team members to do the collecting, processing and analysis. In this case, our role is to ensure that the team has done this work, not necessarily to deal with the numbers ourselves.
Possible questions that we can ask to ensure that our teams are using information to lead strategically:
- What is your goal in numerical terms? Where are you now in those terms?
- What rate of progress are you making to date towards your goal?
- Are you on track to meet your goal given where you are now, and the rate of progress that you are making to date?
- What are the different alternative routes to reach your goal, and how does the rate of progress towards the goal differ for each of those alternatives?
- Show me that you are making the most effective progress towards your goal.