This year we saw actual positive results from focusing on our strategy.
For the first time in 3 years we have seen an increase in the number of countries with new spiritual movements launched. This is the outcome from our Mission, and directly leads us towards our Vision. I do not believe that this has happened by accident, but that it is the result of 3 years of focus on one thing by senior leadership across about 170 countries.
Key lessons I learned from this success:
- Focus on one thing.
- For years and years.
- Don’t change the focus, and don’t change the rules. People can’t keep up with our ability to create change.
- Keep it simple – both the strategy, and the process for turning the strategy into something that people can execute day to day.
- Be consistent in messaging world-wide.
- Review progress frequently (we aimed at bi-weekly, but we probably ended up with monthly).
- Don’t allow your ability to think of new things to do distract you from the most important one thing.
- Don’t let up. I had an old boss who used to say “Don’t let them grind you down!”, although he used an expletive before the object of the sentiment to reinforce the point.
- Public accountability keeps even independent minded people focused on group goals.
I have been writing this blog now for nearly 2 years as I have been trying to figure out how to help 16,000 people spread across nearly 170 countries lead strategically. I hope that the fact that we have seen some success encourages you to stick to the strategy and use the strategic planning process to keep focused on the long term goal.