Creating a culture in an organization where people engage in creative thinking, planning and execution to most effectively accomplish the vision is a culture change.
To create this culture requires use of culture change management. There are well thought out processes for doing this based upon a lot of experience. John Kotter describes one of the most respected processes for culture change in his book “Leading Change“.
Kotter outlines the process that he observed to have worked the most often. It has 8 steps as follows:
- Establish a sense of urgency
- Create the guiding coalition
- Develop a change vision
- Communicate the vision for buy-in
- Empower broad-based action
- Generate short-term wins
- Never let up
- Incorporate changes in the culture